Saturday, April 29, 2006

Well Well Well....

Hello All,
As you can see in the sidebar I am now blue Ginkgo Press webmaster. I downloaded the free trial of dreamweaver yesterday. And I also have CuteFTP 7.

WindowsX's new site design is excellent. I posted a cmment. www.windowsx.jcxp.net Vista Transformation pack 4 will in fact be released in JCXP. I'm really looking forward to that. Because I liked his forum before he left it and now that I have got along with JCXP its great that he chose that one.

Anyway I am very pleased to now be Blue Ginkgo Webmaster. I am learning how to design a website now, and am learning HTML and later on JavaScript and CSS, XML etc.

Heres an interesting article on Maxthon:

Browsing the Browsers

Which browser is the best, and why has nobody heard of it?
I have to admit, that up until a year ago, I gave very little thought to my browser. When I wanted to use the internet, I clicked on Microsoft’s Internet Explorer, and surfed the ‘net. I thought that the browser wars had been settled between Microsoft’s Internet Explorer and Netscape’s Navigator eons ago. Why would I waste my precious time on something with the excitement of dental floss?

Microsoft’s Internet Explorer has been stuck in version six for years now. We’ve been promised a new version, and it is currently available as a beta, known as version seven. It works, although I’ll warn you that it can be buggy at times. I don’t know about you, but my feeling is that I’ve done more than my fair share of beta testing for Microsoft through the years between Windows and Office. I’m not about to do any more.

There is one killer feature that Internet Explorer lacks, and that is tabbed browsing. Quite simply, once you try it, you’ll be hooked. I routinely run three to five tabs on my browser, and it has become a necessity, especially when creating web site content to have a stable browser with excellent tab features.
About a year ago, I found out about FireFox. This is a great browser that has grown in popularity at an exponential rate. It has also served to put Microsoft on notice to get their butts in gear and get their new browser out. FireFox is generally stable, and is open source so it has thousands of plug ins available. With some effort, you can customize it to the exact browser you want. Truthfully, I never got into the plug ins, but I basically liked the browser.However, after the initial courtship, I lost interest in the browser. Why? It’s not always fully compatible with all sites. I once did some pasting up of content in WordPress, and I unknowingly crashed the entire site to every browser except FireFox! One other pet peeve is that when opening a new site, it opens in a new FireFox browser, and not as a new tab. After this happens a few times, I end up with the confusion of three browsers open, with two to three tabs each. I’m sure there is a work around for this, but I wasn’t wasting my time to find it!

I next turned my attention to Opera. They were the innovative folks that invented tabbed browsing. Up until recently, they were the only browser that was charging for the privilege; now it is free. Their browser works well, and is stable. However, two annoyances keep me from using it.
The first is when using blogger, not all the buttons for the content come up. Therefore, I have trouble adding links and images. This is completely unacceptable. The other annoyance is that the tabs have an “x” to close the window right on them. This is very convenient, but more than once I inadvertently closed a tab that I wanted to keep when switching. This got real old, real fast, and I was moving on again.

I next heard that Netscape had decided to make a run for it again. Remember Netscape Navigator, and Netscape Communicator? Well, don’t get too nostalgic, because it now is called Netscape Browser 8.1. It’s really a decent browser in the end. Apparently it is based on the FireFox engine, but it can be toggled into an Internet Explorer mode when needed for compatibility. It also has an antispyware and security feature set built into the browser. It’s like getting FireFox with the plug ins already preinstalled and ready to go. Uniquely, there is even a way that you can set it up to access your online email accounts at the click of a browser button which is very convenient.

What are the shortcomings? Like with Opera, there is the issue of the “x” on the tabs that closes a needed window when navigating the tabs. Close a tab more than once, and believe me, you’ll be moving on as well. The other problem is that with all the preinstalled add ons the browser takes the longest to boot up. Computer folk are generally inpatient; we’ll pay thousands for the latest processor and the most RAM to avoid waiting for more than one millisecond. Let’s just say, I still wasn’t happy.

After trying so all the major browsers out there, I had given up on trying to find a really good one. I obviously had a problem with all of them. I often was surfing with FireFox and Internet Explorer both open at the same time (waiting to find something better)!

Last month, I heard about a browser known as Maxthon. I had never heard of it before, but I saw that over 50 million of you had downloaded it, so I decided to give it a try (if for no other reason than be able to complain about it and write this article). It’s based on Internet Explorer’s code (version 6), so compatibility with web sites shouldn’t be an issue. That’s also the problem it’s still vulnerable to the same things that IE 6 is. Also, no one knows you’re using it because it comes up as IE, not Maxthon. Therefore, it’s never going to win a popularity contest, because no one knows you’re using it.

What’s so good about Maxthon? Well, first is that the tabs don’t have an “x” to close them like Opera and Netscape. Done with a tab? Then right click it to close it. This is the way it should work. Speaking of tabs working, when you open a link, even one for a new window, it opens in a new tab. This way you can have many tabs all at once open in the same one browser, and not have the three windows of two tabs each like with FireFox. If you need a new tab, just click on the icon on the toolbar; sure FireFox can be setup to have this, but Maxthon does it natively. When you close the whole browser, it checks that this is what you want to do, and asks if you would like to save these pages. If yes, it will go to the same pages the next time it starts. What a timesaver!
There are also a ton of other great features. Want to see the source code for the page? That is only a button click away. Also, you can see the site “full page” and eliminate the bottom tool bar by clicking another button. Your IE bookmarks also automatically get imported so you’ll feel right at home. There is also ad popup blocking included in the browser. Links can be dropped and dragged into tabs which is uber cool.
There is an RSS feed reader also built in. Unfortunately, you do need to add the button to the toolbar in the configuration options. I guess they figure if you’re tech savvy to want an RSS feed, you can figure out the feed button.
While Maxthon may have reverse engineered Microsoft’s bowser, I think that Microsoft could learn some things from the Maxthon crew at this point. So, if you really want to impress your friends, tell them that you’re using Maxthon, after all FireFox is just too common as an alternative. I keep all five browsers on my Windows desktop, but I use Maxthon the most. In the end, it works great, and is the most comfortable when using the internet.
Maxthon’s Home Page.
–Jonas


So as you can see there are plenty of reasons to switch to Maxthon.

Its my favorite.

Bye for now!

Mr J Harris
Blue Ginkgo Press webmaster
jacobharris99@gmail.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home